“What is she talking about? Your “Person”?” Perhaps you are thinking “I don’t need to create my “person”! I have lots of people around me”.
Creating your “person” is a great (old) marketing trick. It allows you to create marketing material that is authentic and truly connects.
Business coaches often talk about knowing your niche market. Well this is the next step, once you identify your niche market you need to create your “person”.
So that you can write all you copy like you speaking to them, like you are sitting down and have a cup of coffee.
Your “person” is just for you, it is not part of your marketing. Your “person” shouldn’t be an existing client or friend. It should be someone you don’t know who represents your ideal client.
Here the simple steps to creating your person:
- Get an image off the internet that best represents your “person”.
- Give your person a name. There are a number websites out there that will give you the most popular baby names per year for example http://www.babycenter.com/babyNameYears.htm
- Give your person a story that representative of your ideal client.
- Print out the picture.
- Pin it up near your computer. (Carry them with you).
- Then write all of your copy for your website, promotion, newsletters, etc as if you are sitting across the table from your “person”.
Here is an example Doug’s is a life coach specializing in working with couples in who are retired. Here are his people.
Sam and Joyce are retired, in their early 70’s, they have 3 children and 5 grandchildern. They want to travel but they want to make sure that they have enough money to last. They have a few health problems but overall they doing ok. They are worried that if they spend too much money travelling they won’t have enough when they need it down the road. They don’t want to be a burden and worry for their children.
Just image how much stronger, personal and connected Doug’s marketing is whenever he writes/speaks as if he is sitting across from Sam and Joyce.
Do you have your “person” defined? Do you create your marketing material for them? Give it a try it is a very powerful tool to create authentic and real content.
I love to see entrepreneurs follow their passions, serve more people and create the lifestyle of their dreams.
Latest posts by Heather Cameron (see all)
- Stop Over Giving and Under Selling with Sarah Santacroce- RFM044 - April 18, 2019
- Lead Generation Strategies – RFM043 - April 15, 2019
- Building a Business by Livestreaming with Bonnie Frank – RFM042 - April 11, 2019