In this episode Rebecca Weber and Heather chat about her expertise as a freelance journalist and writing coach. Rebecca shares her insights on pitching and selling idea, mindset shift and more.
“Tap into the curiosity in yourself and find other people to talk to who are really passionate about what they are doing.” – Rebecca L. Weber
Who is Rebecca L. Weber?
Rebecca L. Weber is a freelance journalist and a writing coach. She covers social justice, the environment, the arts, and travel for publications like CNN, the New York Times, Dwell, Ebony.com, and many others.
As a writing coach, she helps other writers (mostly women) get out of their own way and break into their dream publications, such as the Guardian, the New York Times, BBC Travel, Bustle, etc.
Rebecca hosts the Writing Coach Podcast, addressing the mindset issues like confidence, underearning, overwhelm, and pursuing meaningful work, that can make or break a writing career. www.rebeccalweber.com/podcast
Originally from Boston, MA, Rebecca is now based in Cape Town, South Africa.
- 2:00 Rebecca’s journey from teaching to becoming a freelance writer and now she coaching other freelance writers to success
- 5:40 The challenge of leaving a steady paycheck behind and being “all in” as freelancer
- 9:50 Pitching and selling ideas
- 12:15 Getting a “No” isn’t always a bad thing – it can mean that a door is now open.
- 16:15 The way in which we consume media has changed rapidly and how we need adapt to the changes.
- 19:45 Part of coaching is sharing our learning with our clients and audience.
- 23:05 The craft of writing and asking good questions
- 26:40 The best person to learn from is often the person who just learnt something
- 28:40 The shift and change in technology on how we consume information and the relationship with the written word.
- 31:45 Listening and learning from podcasts.
- 35:00 It is possible to coach people on things you do not have personal experience with. It’s the tools and process that allow coaches to help people.
- 38:20 Self coaching and recharging your energy
- 41:35 Learn more about Rebecca, The Writing Coach Podcast and her services
- 46:20 Rebecca’s favourite quotes “What difference does it make if the thing you’re scared of is real or not?” – Tony Morrison
- 47:20 Rebecca’s parting message: “You can do this, you can achieve your goals. It hinges on whether your believe you can do it or not.”
“The mindset and the way in which I approach thing is something that I have more control over than I realized.” – Rebecca L. Weber
Connect with Rebecca:
Writing Coach Podcast: www.rebeccalweber.com/podcast
Connect with Heather:
Join our Facebook Community: Ready For More! Women Business Owners Circle
Free 5 Day Productivity Program: www.igniteyourmarket.com/takecontrol/
Download Your Should Buster: www.igniteyourmarket.com/shouldbuster