We are all faced with doing something new in our business. It is almost impossible not to be given the rapid changes in how we communicate and market. Learning something new can be uncomfortable, it can difficult, it can be frustrating, it can be exciting and all of those feelings are normal.
Listen to this week’s Ready for More! Podcast weekly tip where I share the 4 four stages of learning any new skill.
If you like what you hear please come and join the Ready For More! Women Business Owners Circle, we are a group of 40+ women entrepreneurs helping each other reach for our More!
The Four Stages of Learning
There are four stages of learning that we all go through when we take on something new. Whether it is learning how to drive a car, develop a product or start to use Instagram.
The 4 stage are:
1) Unconscious Incompetence – This is the stage where “we don’t know that we don’t know”. Where we don’t actually know something is out there to learn or use. For example, many of my clients have never thought about creating an online offering and have no idea how to do it.
2) Conscious Incompetence – At this stage, we now know about what we want to learn but we have no idea on how to do it. We start and it is often pretty rocky, scary and overwhelming. Remember the 1st time you tried to ride a bike?
3) Conscious Competence – At this stage, we’ve proven to ourselves that we can now implement the new skill. We are starting to see the results that we want and we are able to repeat, with confidence, the new skills. However, it still takes concentration not to falter.
4) Unconscious Competence – In this final stage, we become so used to performing a particular skill we don’t have to think about it anymore. It becomes second nature, we just do it.
As business owners, it important be aware of these stages and allow them to happen. It is important to not give up when you are stage 1 or 2. You have to give yourself time to learn the skills and build your confidence.
What in your business is in Stage 4: Unconscious Competence?
Are learning something new and in stage 1, 2 or 3? What new.
You can get your free copy of the worksheet 10 Lead Generation Strategies for 40+ Women Business Owners simply by joining the Ready For More! Women Business Owners Circle. We are a group of 40+ women entrepreneurs helping each other reach for our More!
Would you like tips to increase your productivity? Click here to access your free gift: Take Control of Your Day and Unleash Your Potential
Are you being “Shoulded” to death, download your free ShouldBuster: https://www.igniteyourmarket.com/shouldbuster/
Learn more about Heather: https://www.igniteyourmarket.com/heathercameron
I love to see entrepreneurs follow their passions, serve more people and create the lifestyle of their dreams.
Latest posts by Heather Cameron (see all)
- Stand Out and Attract More Leads – RFM063 - July 18, 2019
- Couch to Active with Lyn Lindbergh – RFM062 - July 11, 2019
- We Know What is Right for Us with Jen Wozny – RFM061 - July 4, 2019